Friday, March 11, 2011

Walmart ~ My Experience with the New Coupon Policy


The coupon blog world has been ablaze this past week with the release of a new Coupon Policy from Walmart. Those who know me know that I am an avid Walmart-hater. Yes, I used to have a love affair with the giant of low prices, but a few years ago things turned sour and I now avoid the place like the plague. I won't go into all my reasoning, but most of it has to do with ethical issues with the company as a whole. But in light of the new policy, I figured I would give it a shot. I went in armed with a print out of the Coupon Policy, but I didn't even need it. Ya, I was shocked!

Walmart Coupon Policy

Walmart accepts the following types of coupons (see guidelines below):
  • Manufacturers' coupons
  • Print-at-home internet coupons
    • Must be legible, have "Manufacturer Coupon" printed on them, have a valid remit address for the manufacturer, valid expiration date, and have a scannable bar code.
  • Competitors' coupons that feature a specific item for a specified price
    • for example, $2.99
  • Soft drink container caps
  • Checkout coupons
    • (also called "Catalinas") that are printed at our competitors' registers, have "Manufacturer Coupon" with specific requirements printed on them, a valid remit address for the manufacturer, valid expiration date, and a scannable bar code.
Walmart does not accept the following coupons:
  • Print-at-home Internet coupons that require no purchase
  • Competitors' coupons for dollars/cents or percentage off, buy one get one free, and double- or triple-value coupons
The following are guidelines and limitations:
  • Only one coupon per item is permitted.
  • Coupons must have an expiration date and be redeemed prior to expiration.
  • Coupons may exceed the price of the item. Change may be given or applied toward the cost of the basket purchase.
  • Walmart only accepts coupons for merchandise that we sell.
  • Coupons must be presented at the time of purchase.
  • We accept the following with Customer Service Supervisor/Management approval:
    • 40 or more coupons
    • Any coupon over $20
    • $50 or more in coupons in one transaction

The two biggest things are "Coupons may exceed the price of the item. Change may be given or applied toward the cost of the basket purchase." and "Walmart accepts... Checkout coupons (also called "Catalinas") that are printed at our competitors' registers, have "Manufacturer Coupon" with specific requirements printed on them, a valid remit address for the manufacturer, valid expiration date, and a scannable bar code.

Yes, you read that correctly. Walmart has stated in writing that they will pay, in cash, overage on coupons! And they will accept Catalinas, which include Walgreens RRs! I couldn't wait to try this one out and see if it would work or be a hassle. So I did the following transaction and it worked like a charm!

(9) Purex 3-in-1 trial size, 2 pack @ $.97 each
(9) $3/1 Purex with Zout or Purex Complete 3-in-1 Laundry Sheets 2/20 RP
$18.27 in overage!!! I decided to pick up a few things that don't typically have coupons and a couple things we just needed.

(1) Algood Grape Jelly @ $1.36 each

(1) Bread @ $1.18 each

(4) Gerber 3rd foods @ $.60 each
(1) $.75/4 Gerber 3rd foods from mailer
$.41 each

(1) Dymo label maker refill @ $6.64

(1) Mott's Applesauce @ $1.72 each

(1) Girl's White sandals @ $10 each (I picked these up since my 5 year old needs a new pair and I didn't want to try getting cash back while testing the waters of the new policy.)

Subtotal $4.28, Tax $1.78.
Total paid OOP $6.06 for $32 of stuff!

I definitely won't be changing my shopping habits to include Walmart on a weekly basis,  but if a good coupon comes out that will give me overage, I'm not against going in and getting them to pay me for taking stuff out the door.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...